This bowl is absolute indulgence! It is a real treat – creamy, rich and so chocolately. I often have it for brunch or, better still, dessert. The frozen banana makes a creamy texture which is perfect for the rich cacao, packed with skin-loving antioxidants that will help you get your glow on!
This recipe works as a great healthy alternative to chocolate ice cream. Sweetened with only natural sugars and packed full of vitamins, minerals and plant goodness, this will soon become a favourite.
Smoothie bowl work best with a base of frozen fruit as it makes a good thick texture. I always have a tupperware of frozen bananas, peeled and halved in the freezer. If you have any bananas that are going ripe before you can get to them then this is a great way to use them up!
I have included some frozen sweet potato in this recipe as it adds texture and is a great way of getting an extra portion of veggies in. I personally don’t think you can really taste it, but for those who are new to the idea start by adding only a little first, or you can use avocado instead. You can use frozen or unfrozen sweet potato, but make sure you peel and cook it first (steaming is best).
For the best chocolate flavour use raw cacao powder. If you don’t have this, then an unsweetened, pure cocoa powder is also fine. Cacao is high in antioxidants which are wonderful for reducing inflammation and promoting healthy skin and hair. The addition of ground flaxseed also adds some important healthy fats and omega-3s.
As always with a smoothie bowl, the toppings are up to you. Throw on all your favourites as you choose; banana slices, strawberries, raspberries, granola, coconut flakes, chia seeds, cacao nibs, nut, seed, etc. The options are endless.
Ingredients: Makes 2 bowls
- 2 frozen bananas
- A handful of steamed sweet potato
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 2-3 tbsp cacao powder
- 200ml Almond milk
- Toppings: fresh fruit, coconut flakes, chia seeds, granola, nuts and seed, cacao nibs, etc.
- Place the frozen banana and sweet potato into a blender with the almond milk and blend until completely blended. (A hand-held blender will also work for this). You may need to add a little more liquid to help it blend together.
- Add the cacao powder and flaxseed and blend again until well mixed a smooth, thick consistency.
- Divide into two bowls and top with all your favourite toppings 🙂
This is such an easy recipe and it makes the most delicious, healthy treat!