Are you a burger fan? So many people are. When making the switch to a more plant-based diet many people fear they have to stop eating some of their favourite foods. This is so not true! This recipe will satisfy all those cravings and will definately become one of your favourites, regardless of whether or not you’re a burger fanatic.
These chickpea patties pack in a sneaky portion of veggies and a full of flavour from the turmeric, cumin and other spices. Replacing the meat with chickpeas is not only better for the planet but also better for your body; much less saturated fats and instead a load of fibre and natural goodness.
I love to have these with a fresh green salad, some sweet potato fries, and a fresh (dairy-free) yoghurt with paprika- so good!
- 1x tin of chickpeas, washed and drained
- 5 spring onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbsp (dairy-free) plain yoghurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp flour – almond, buckwheat or other
- Finely slice the spring onions and garlic and place in a large saucepan with the coconut oil. Saute until soft.
- Grate the courgette and squeeze out the excess moisture. Add to the frying pan along with the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and turmeric. Mix well and remove from the heat.
- Wash and drain the chickpeas – this is so important as it can help make them easier to digest and reduce any discomfort. It is also better to remove the skin, but let’s be honest, who has time for that?!
- Put the chickpeas in a bowl an mash roughly with a fork. Add the onions, courgette and spices to the bowl, along with the salt, pepper, yoghurt, lemon juice, and flour. Mix well.
- *You may need to add more liquid or more flour to make the correct consistency – the mixture should form patties that hold together!*
- Divide the mixture into 6-8 portions and form patties with your hands. In the same frying pan as before, heat some oil and fry the patties for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve with sides of your choice: a green salad, sweet potato wedges, and a cool yoghurt dip.