This is definitely my go-to brunch option after an early gym session. It’s a plate full of goodness to get you ready for the rest of the day and refuelled from a tough workout. Of course, you can just enjoy it regardless of whether you’ve been to the gym, but it’s high protein content makes it a perfect post-workout meal.
- 1 slice rye or sourdough bread (I use biona rye bread as it is wheat-free)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- 100g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- A large handful of kale or spinach
- 100g firm tofu
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp coconut aminos or tamari/soy sauce
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the spring onion and garlic and gently fry in a frying pan with some oil.
- Slice the onions and add these to the frying pan. Once soft, add the miso past with 3 tbsp of water and mix so that all the mushrooms are coated in the miso. Finally add the kale or spinach and cook briefly until wilted a little.
- Put this to once side while you prepare the tofu. Using the same frying pan (keeps the flavour), take the tofu in your hands and crumble it into the pan.
- Add the ginger, turmeric and tamari/soy sauce, mixing well so that all the tofu is well coated with the spices. You may need to add a little water to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile, toast your bread and mash the avocado in a bowl along with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper, to make a creamy smash.
- Once the tofu begins to brown slightly, add the mushroom mixture back to the pan and mix well.
- Finally, spread the avocado over the toast and pile on the tofu scramble. Enjoy with a large tea or coffee!