Okay… I know the title doesn’t bode well, but this bread is actually really good. I’m not really into “healthy baking” and I absolutely believe that if your’re going to have cake, it should be really good, tasty cake. But if you’re trying to keep sugar to a minimum, this is definitely a winner! It’s also gluten free, as an added bonus!
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas (the riper the better) mashed.
- zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 300g ground almonds
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks.
- a pinch of salt
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 160’C (180’C for conventional).
- Beat the eggs really well, with an electric whisk or in a stand alone mixture. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mashed banana and mix again.
- Whisk in the honey, the lemon juice and the lemon zest.
- Add the the ground almonds, bread soda (sifted) and salt and fold into the mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. To check if it’s cooked through, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven. If there’s mixture on the skewer, bake for a further five minutes and check again.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.