One of my favourite foods is bread. Any kind of bread at all. This one is so easy and quick that anyone can make it. It has the added advantage of being easily adapted to being gluten free and because it’s basically a soda bread, it doesn’t need time to prove (rise). I usually slice it and freeze it that way so I always have some to hand.
You will need:
- 1 500ml tub of natural yogurt
- 2 tsp bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 tsp salt.
- 2 tablespoons of oil (my preference is rapeseed but any kind of oil will work.)
- Porridge oats
- Mixed seeds (optional)
- Line a loaf tin with silicone paper and preheat the oven to 180’C.
- Empty the yogurt into a mixing bowl and give the tub a rinse.
- Add the oil to the yogurt and stir.
- Add the bread soda and salt and give it a good mix. The yogurt will bubble and rise. (It’s quite cool to watch actually)
- Use the yogurt tub to measure out two tubs of regular porridge oats. Add your mixed seeds and mix well.
- Press into a loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn it upside down onto a baking sheet and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Cool in a slightly damp tea-towel. (You don’t have to do this but it prevents it from developing a very hard crust.